View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #30
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
It's an interesting aspect of LDS culture in that to a large degree, there is a flywheel effect with the Eagle (at least in some wards) that is incomprehensible to scouters outside of the Church.

To LDS, scouting = Eagle. It's a rite of passage no different than getting baptized, receiving the priesthood, graduation seminary/HS, going on a mission, etc. t's "expected"

Are some kids drug through it? Sure. But the same is true of all of the above.
I can comprehend it. I've seen it for the past 2 years now that I am in YMs.

All the scouts get together at weekly mutuals/YM activities and get things passed off whether they really did anything or not. As long as they were there, they get it passed off.

Our ward YM recently did almost all of the 3 citizenship badges in one Saturday morning. They all showed up at the chapel, the adults spoke to the kids, asked questions to the kids (thereby loosely fulfilling the requirements) and everyone passed. There was no real effort on the part of the boys. they just sat there and listened for the most part.

I don't mind, however, since I hate scouts. I am just pointing out my observation.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote