View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #40
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's unfortunate how these arguments often lead to the "those poor people deserve what they get" line of reasoning.
It's also unfortunate that many who are more supportive of socialized medicine interpret anything that opponents say as the "those poor people deserve what they get" line of thinking.

I'm not saying that everyone who doesn't have health care deserves it. There are many in a situation in which they are unable to get it. But I feel rather confident that the majority in that situation are there as a result of their own choices. If, after they do all they can do on their own, are unable to get what they need, then I have no problem in finding ways to help them. I'm just tired of doing everything I do in order to take care of me and my family and then being told I have to do more for those who are unwilling to do it as well.

I'll suggest the same thing I suggested on utefans in a debate like this. I challenged all those who want socialized medicine to voluntarily pay extra taxes in order to make it happen. Those of us who chose not to won't be able to access that health care.

Sound fair?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote