View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #44
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The funny thing is that an apology is getting mistaken for an attack. What casts the worse light on the church: (1) God through his prophets decreed, for reasons we don't know, that the full blessings of the gospel were to be witheld for the most superficial of reasons (read here race) OR (2) God is no respecter of persons and the leaders of His church, though they meant well, were products of their time with engrained assumptions about race, and when enough time had passed new leaders were prepared to recieve the corrective guidence then God gave it to them.

What you apparently view as an attack on God, is actually an attempt by many of us to harmonize our belief that God is perfect, just and no respecter of persons with this particular fact of our history. It is much easier for me to believe that men are imperfect than it is for me to believe that God gives apparently racist directives. I must concede that God could have reasons I don't know about, but until I learn them, this is the easiest way for me to assimilate all of this into my belief that the LDS church is the true one.
Very well said Dan. This is what I've been trying to communicate all along.
Yes, I fully agree with UD (and by extension, SteelBlue, and a lot of others here). This one is so simply accepted and such a no-brainer that I am quite taken aback by the opposition to even the suggestion that The Church and its leaders might have been wrong.

The problem with Mormons is that, for the most part, they still have so little real interaction with people of African decent that it is too easy to say, "Well, that's how God wanted it." and walk away. I'm sure that if that horizon was broadened significantly, most would come away saying, "Wow, we sure blew that one."

I think it was Brian that asked after leaving this sphere which video of world history we would want to watch. For me it would be, should the detractors here be correct, a video showing the proceedings of the grand council in heaven where God opted for November 1978 as the before and after for so many of his children. I'm really interested in the discussion that led up to that one.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 05-10-2007 at 07:52 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote