View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yes they choose. From one choice placed before them. Would you like to be separated from your family forever and disappoint everyone you know and love in your entire life? Or would you like to be baptized and become a member of the Church?
You think that most 8 year olds even know about those concepts? If I told my kids that they couldn't be with us forever if they didn't get baptized (eventually), they'd be shocked. If they've heard this from other sources, I'm not aware of it, but they haven't heard it from me or my wife.

Quote:
Indy, I submit that to say it is a choice with any degree of honesty, you have to have at least 10% saying no. When you have 99.999999% saying yes, you can't honestly say the kids have a choice. Maybe your daughter would have said yes even with a real choice. But that doesn't mean she had one.
Of course my daughter had a real choice. Dating back to the time she was 4 or 5, everytime they announced a baptism at church, she would pester us to take her to it. She made it clear that she wanted to be baptized. Do any of us really make choices in an "influential vacuum" where the examples and expectations of others don't impact our decision-making?

I'm glad she has the Gift of the Holy Ghost now to help her steer through the murky waters of life now that she is being exposed to more situations where she has to decide right from wrong.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote