Thread: Darron Smith
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #33
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There is a AA member that joined the church a year ago in our branch. He said that the church's stance pre-1978 didn't matter to him during his conversion because

1. He had an undeniable spiritual witness that the church was true
2. It was a thing of the past
I think the concern is for those for whom this might be an issue. Not for those for whom it isn't.

How many black people failed to join the church in your branch because of the church's pre-1978 stance?

Rhetorical question - of course there's no way to know. But isn't that sort of the point?

I think the real question is how many black people refuse to ever listen to the missionaries in the first place because they know it's a racist church because of the pre-1978 stance?

My feeling is that horse has already left the barn, and an apology wouldn't have a huge effect on the general feeling. However, it might have an effect on a few, and isn't that worth it?

Also, I believe an apology is the right thing, and isn't that worth it?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote