View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
this conference is sad if our top team is doubting it can win a first round game where they will most likely be the higher seed.
Since the inception of the MWC conference there has been 4 total teams favored in its first round matchup - by seeding. That was Utah in 2000 and 2005. UNLV and BYU in last year. 3 teams were favored by the oddsmakers in Utah 2000 and 2005 and UNLV last year. By my math that means the MWC gets one team every 3 years to be favored by the oddsmakers going into its first round game.

Saying that it would not surprise me if BYU gets favored this year and that would make it 4 in 9 years with 2 back to back. This is not a great hoops conference and it is never going to be, but statistically it is getting better.

If the Lobos recruiting class shows up and UNLV can hold onto some of its recruits, the MWC is poised, IMO, to potentially surpass the Valley as the top non-BCS conference. Next year the MWC could have 2 legit top 25 teams in BYU and UNLV, and 2 more potential top 40 teams in Utah and UNM. SDSU might be a top 50 squad as well. AF will probably be in the top 70. WYO, CSU and TCU will be out of the top 100 and hurt the conference RPI.

Next year it would not surprise me if the conference wins 3 NCAA games.

This conference is really improving.