View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #17
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
We cook our dinners rarely. In a typical week, we get takeout 2-3 times, eat at one of our families 1-time a week, cook up our own meals probably 2 times a week and go out to eat 1-2 times a week.

My wife grew up in a family where they rarely cooked their own meals and she has carried on the tradition to our little family. I like cooking but I am only good at cooking one or two things.
Wow. I would eat out frequently if I could afford it; however, it gets expensive taking a family of 7 out to dinner (or buying takeout) even once a week. Our current grocery budget is approximately $150/week. That equates to a roughly $1 person-meal cost (assuming three meals per person per day). It's difficult for my family to eat out under $40 (unless you count the McDonalds value menu as eating out), Thus, eating out even two times a week would be $80/week - a $5 person-meal cost. Subtract the $14 I would save and the true person-meal cost is $4.70 - still over four times as expensive to eat out than to eat in.

If I was single, or if it was just Mrs. Meanie and I, we could probably eat out cheaper than we could eat in. However, when you add more people you get economies of scale so eating in is much more cost-effective. I like eating out, but I like being able to afford BYU football season tickets even better.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote