View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
John Haddow

John Haddow
Default BYU loss vs Utah Win

BYU played a much stronger team in Boston College. The defense played average but allowed Boston College to complete to many passes. Boston College also went into a two deep cover defense playing their safeties 20 yards off the ball. This took away the deep threat that Watkins poses and forced BYU (Beck) to beat them with 10 completetions and no mistakes. They were unable to make this happen.

Utah did not look overpowering at all against an Arizona team that while better than last year will be lucky to be above 500. Brian Johnson showed some good signs and Gantner was very good. BJ did show a propensity to run with the ball and not wait on the route to develop. Some better passing teams will expose some weaknesses. Without the interception this may have been a different game, but the interception did happen.

Boston College was the best of the four teams in question this weekend, by a wide margin. Their offensive line is experienced and good. Their defense is solid, not spectacular but solid.

Tom O'Brien outcoached Bronco Mendenhall. He kept his defensive players rested and they did not wilt in the fourth quarter. (see Syracuse game) Why Bronco was punting on fourth down on the BC 36 in the fourth quarter and down two scores I have no idea. He must have watched Stoops the night before and not learned anything.

One thing I have to say is that everytime ACC officials come into Provo some of the calls whenever BYU gets in the red zone are very questionable. Remember the Virginia game and BYU scores from the 1 and they call holding. Everytime BYU started to drive the ball close there was a holding call. I live in ACC country and their crews are known for "home cooking" in OCC games. Prior to Virginia Tech moving to the ACC they insisted on neutral officials in the Virginia game after getting to many questionable calls in previous years.

My last comment, we got to watch the Utah game in HD and it is spectacular on a big screen. It makes the other games look a little blurry. Here to hoping everyone moves to HD quickly.
Washington, DC 20002

(202) 547-4000
John Haddow is offline   Reply With Quote