View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Introductions in Print:

For the new Testament, Bart Ehrman's Introduction to the NT is 5 stars all the way. There is no *historical* introduction out there that even comes close. For literary issues presented book by book of the NT, get Raymond E. Brown's Introduction. It is very long but very user friendly as a reference, and faithful Mormon scholars who are interested in this sort of thing are very fond of it (Brown was a believing catholic and an excellent scholar).

For the OT, John Collin's Intro to the Hebrew Bible is excellent. First year students at UNC got a ton out of this book. Collins is very good at presenting/summarizing the important issues.

Certainly not a complete list, but this is where I would start, if anyone cares.
I really like both of the books you mentioned. Ehrman's introduction is wonderful and very readable. Brown's is great too (a side note: I really like Brown's, Birth of the Messiah as well). For general background into the history of the Biblical region I like, The Oxford History of the Biblical World by Michael Coogan.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote