Thread: Restrepo
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I have watched this movie as well and it brought back a lot of memories. There are many kids out at those little COP's and they are really out on an island. I agree with your observations and would add that I was very disappointed with the discipline that the soldiers demonstrated. It has been a while since I watched it but I was amazed at their lack of uniform discipline, trash all over the place etc. It is in environments like that where discipline is of top importance. If not all hell breaks loose. You can see why discipline and training is so important, because it is during the chaos of combat that you fall to the level of your training. It is the same in medicine, when the blood starts to flow and the blood pressure tanks, you fall to the level of your training. I never appreciated the importance of training and discipline until I saw it first hand. The SF and Ranger units are the epitome of this and it shows.

That show does show the reality of that war. I share your fears and concerns for the future of afghanistan.