View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 02:04 AM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It was not described in that manner as you conveniently ignore for purposes of making an argument.

It was correctly described as relegating black men and women to a lesser status, racial discrimination. In terms of ranking priorities, which is a dangerous game to say the least, I daresay, more people care about racial equality than about gay marriage. In fact, in light of the 1 Billion Muslims, who do not agree with gay marriage, the proportion of those caring about racial equality to gay marriage, is not even close.

If you wish to limit your arguments within the 1st World of Europe, Canada, Australia and the US, there are significant numbers of persons who care about gay marriage.

More do care about racial equality even in parts of the developing and third world. You are making an invalid argument by arguing gay discrimination is worse than racial discrimination. By relegating gay marriage discrimination I am not diminishing its importance to those who care, but it is not equivalent or greater than racial matters. Only a small percentage of the population is affected by gay marriage, but all people are affected by racial equality.
Both have been existential threats to the LDS Church. I'm merely making the point that this one is the bigger problem for the LDS Church. A lot has to do with the times, the Internet, higher visibility. Back then, Mormonism wasn't on anyone's radar. Least of all blacks. This problem affects many LDS of all types. My best friend growing up is out of the church and raging mad over how his two gay sons were treated. His family goes back to the pioneers, returned missionary, etc. There is no abstractions in his rage and contempt at the LDS Church.

There are blacks, whites, browns, women, etc. with a similar experience. On the other hand, Notre Dame's website encourages and welcomes LBGT applicants.

Finally, this problem is tied up with the LDS obsession with sex and sexual morality, and this hatred will be harder to part with. Is there any hatred older than hatred for LGBT? If they get rid of the prohibition, what a loss of face.

You can write whatever you want, but I wasn't making the kind of value judgment about which form of bigotry is worse. I wouldn't take a position on that so I'm not going to debate you about it. I would say they are equally reprehensible.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-15-2016 at 02:07 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote