View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was thinking about your writing a few weeks ago. I was reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Debut novel by a Swedish writer (who died before publication). As I read the opening pages, I thought, "yes, this is how you start a novel. You grab my interest."

Just started another novel last night. "A bend in the River." Again, caught my interest in the first few simple pages.

Versus your novel, which I had to dig down deep, Melanie Oudin-style, to keep going after the first few paragraphs.

Real art to the beginning of a novel. Or rather, the quality of a novel is often apparent in just a few pages.
Signed, Mr. "I tried to read the Crossing but Cormac was just spouting philosophy and not telling me a story so I quit."

I don't think you've read enough great novels to judge. Anyway, writing is a process. You should feel privileged that I've shared my struggle with you. Most of Cormac's life he lived in a barn with no plumbing, and sold 5,000 copies of all his novels combined before All the Pretty Horses. You're like those Ute fans who wanted to fire Whit after the Vegas game in 2007.

Let me know when you FINISH A Bend in the River. I won't hold my breath.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote