View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

yet another accusation from someone who was acquainted with the subject of Krakauer's book, who says Krakauer gets it all wrong, for Krakauer's own purposes.

Quote:
I just finished reading Into The Wild after recognizing I had attended Emory Univ together (I graduated 2 years earlier). Although I find Krakauer to be a very talented writer I also find his descriptive protrayal of Chris very limited much to my chagrin. To say I knew Chris is to say I had a class with him and knew of his editorials in the "Wheel" but my own recollection is not as an outgoing, funny well adjusted guy. Much to the contrary, he seemed to be depressed, reclusive or as some might say, a loner. My opinion doesn't take away from the the seriousness of the book, it just makes me wonder how much literary license Krakauer has used either to sell books or to help comfort his family in grief.
I suspect Chris' lack of close family bonds is likely as result of chronic depression and his rebellious behaviour is manifestation of these thoughts/beliefs. It was noteworthy that none of the pictures supplied to the author by Chris' own sister ever showed him smiling. Indeed, I looked up his picture in my Emory yearbook and again, no smile. In fact it interesting that he is the ONLY person not smiling on the page!
I'm not critical of Chris trying to "find" himself in the wilderness as many young people often search for something similar; however, as many experience survival experts have already pointed out, it was an ill concieved plan by an inexperienced person which eventually led to his tragic death. This cannot be denied. And it is very sad.
However, Krakauer is missing the real tragedy here; Chris was mentally sick and needed serious psychological help which might have prevented this tragic end and it is here that the author fails in my opinion. To compare his climb of Devil's Thumb with Chris is comparing apples and oranges. The author was a very accomplished climber from a young age whereas Chris had no "survival" experience as anyone who knows can tell you(many accomplished guides have pointed this fact out elsewhere). So although Chris espoused the literary ideals of London, Tolstoy and Thoreau, the alaskan wilderness cares not about such things which brings reality and eventually death to the young man.
It is so sad, Chris was very bright and deserved a better life, however I believe his depression drove him to his death. His need for some form of "test" would win him acceptance from his father thus putting an end to a long bitter relationship. Nevertheless, the book is an engaging account of a tragic part of his life and should serve as a reminder for to examine ourselves and those around us with unconditional acceptance, not so as to stop encounters into the wild but to learn from nature as a child learns to walk - carefully, one step at a time until we can run!
If this is true, I think it is because K. unconsciously reinvents people into versions of himself or his imagination. He goes to the place he thinks he should go, not to the place where the evidence leads.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...rBy=addOneStar
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote