View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #35
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I like you too. I like everyone here, especually the super sexy guys like Archaea (I have never seen pics of you, so I cannot say whether you are hot).

I dont disagree that he did those things. And those are great things.

The core of our disagreement seems to be whether those things prevented any real attacks from occurring.

You say there is no factual basis for arguing this point. I can only think of 3 examples of foreign attacks on domestic soil. It is a pretty safe bet that we won't see another one for a long time, regardless of whether Tom Ridge heads up Homeland Security.

I can build a huge fence around my property. The fence is undeniably a measure of security. But just because I built a fence doesnt mean that someone was going to attack me.
I know that over the years we have heard many times about attacks that have been thwarted. We have also heard from the left that our presence in the Middle East has made the likelihood of attack dramatically higher, and they are right about this. I don't get the sense that Homeland Security the FBI and the CIA have been sitting around for the last seven years saying, geeze, thanks for the bigger budget but there just isn't really that much for us to do.

The argument you are making is like saying, you know I'm not really aware of anyone having tried to break into my house so I really got screwed when they convinced me to buy locks for the doors.

As for Obama, if he continues polices that are calculated to keep us safe, then he is entitled for credit when we remain safe. I don't think that you can credit a president too much or blame him much for anything at the end of his first month, but at the end of the first 6 months is a different story. I guess I'm just not sure how you are developing the notion that there just hasn't really been any true threat we have been combating domestically. I know that my friends in federal law enforcement tell me otherwise.