View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Many of these people that have been busted, were prosecuted on drug distribution laws. Normally that doesn't affect the athlete, as he is usually the end-user. But in the case of Lance, it may be that he was both a dealer and an end-user. In which case he will be in for a world of hurt.
Or they are prosecuted for obstruction of justice. I don't care what the tool used by the prosecutor is, it's the public policy at issue and it certainly isn't medications and prescriptions that's got him riled up. If it were, he wouldn't be the prosecutor. You're not going to come up with any scenario where I believe in what the prosecutor is doing. Not any that have come to light so far.

I don't believe the accusations that he was a dealer and you're construing the allegations in a light which isn't deserved. This is sport, we expect the athletes to push the limits of what's allowed. I don't expect athlete to be moral ethicists. I expect them to go over the edge once in a while. They are risking their own bodies to produce performance. It's not something I recommend; it's not something I would do, but I'm not concerned that others don't share my beliefs and certainly don't believe they should be prosecuted for this penny ante stuff.

Do I believe physicians should dispense medications in accordance with the manufacturer's indications and in accordance with sound medical judgment? Of course. And if narcotics are involved, we should enforce the rules. As far as I know, except for the situations of sports or the little blue pill, most prosecutions involve the abuse of narcotics because of their potentially addictive traits.

So if you possess a Schadenfreude, then this sort of prosecution is right up your alley. But there is no harm to society at large, except for government's need and desire to exert influence over every sphere of society. This is a meaningless prosecution, unless Schadenfreude is your chief goal.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote