View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Wow, the message has been sent. If you go to the media, bad publicity can cause Jesus to change his mind about an ecclesiastical endorsement.

Of course, we already knew that. Image first. That is the BYU slogan.

There will be some interesting undercurrents that will go on. There is a reason the SP told the father not to make any waves. Unlike most places where you feel you may have been wronged and want to speak out, it is taboo to do so if the church is involved. You just don't embarass the church.

I think that mentality is fading amongst members. Whatever the reason, the culture of keep your mouths shut is fading.

It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash from the academia or ecclesiastical folks at BYU. BYU is not unique in it's clash between academia and athletics. What is unique at BYU is there is the added religion element.

You are dreaming if you don't think there are ardent opponents of BYU athletics in both groups. I don't see it as a battle of good and evil, but of different views philosophically. The trouble when you have religion involved is the element of "God agrees with me" enters in.

If I were a BYU coach right now, I would put my kids on high alert.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote