View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What is the genesis for the belief that you will go inactive if you don't go to a church school? Are the youth of today so feeble that they are unable withstand anything other than being hand fed bits of toast dipped in milk?
I am not sure how old your daughter is, but this issue is one of very real and immediate importance to my wife and I, as my 18 yo son will leave this fall for a college far away and with a limited LDS population. He did apply to BYU and was admitted, but chose to go in another direction for several reasons. We support him in his choice, but I am concerned, as a father, about this coming year. This has nothing to do with thinking he is prepared for only bits of milk-sopped bread, which is a rather demeaning way to cast this issue. Instead, like many issues in life, it is a question of probabilities. If he is at a school with lots of LDS kids, he is more likely to be with kids sharing his standards and so is less likely to succumb to temptations to violate those standards. If he is hanging around a high percentage of young Mormon women, he is more likely to date and fall in love with a Mormon woman.

Your attitude as articulated seems to be based on your board persona infused with anti-BYU feelings as opposed to true perspective of an active LDS parent. BYU is a great school, very affordable and places someone in an environment that is always supportive of LDS standards. As a parent, what's not to like? I am glad my son is following his own path, but I would always be pleased if any of my children chose to attend BYU.

BTW, when he was applying to colleges BYU was always on the list. I asked him if he wanted to consider UofU and he winced and said something like "you've got to be kidding." He was clearly trained well.