View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fraud requires specific intent and apologists may lack that

intent. Instead, I think most of them (and I have certainly acted in that manner when talking to new contacts) do so out of good intentions (even though perhaps paving their personal road, so to speak). If you mislead because you are stupid you are not committing fraud.

I wonder if we are being prideful in even talking about this issue? A religion serves two purposes (at least); inward enlightenment and good acts. Do the apologists defeat either purpose? Proabbyl not, although they may delay some level of inward nelightenment. OTOH, they cetainyl help some people stay on a path that leads to good acts. So who cares if they are disingenuous in their analysis of the latest genetic evidence, etc.?

I've often wondered why people that are disabused of their testimonies frequently feel compelled to tear down the belief of others. Even if Mormonism is not true, what's wrong with enouraging epople to live this way? Unless someone else has found THE truth, and is are trying to convert a moron to that view, why nopt leave mormons alone?

Likewise, unless an apologist, as we are defining it, leads someone to act badly, who cares?

Also, sorry about all the typos. Too lazy to correct them and I havent' found the spell checker yet. Is one here?
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote