View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default BYU baseball resurgence

I did some research on BYU's just signed super recruit Kyle Dean from San Diego. He's pretty impressive. He has signed out of HS with BYU to play next year but there is still the MLB draft coming in June.

Apparently, MLB.com lists him as the #79 prospect in the draft. This is very impressive considering it includes both HS and college players. He will get drafted. The question is exactly where, but you would assume it would probably be somewhere between 50 and 100, which would mean 2-4th round.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...15/#list=draft

In a recent interview Dean said he's on his way to BYU and the only thing that might change that is if he's offered a "life changing" amount of money after the draft.

So I found the link below showing what happened to the 2014 players who were signed after the draft. All I can say is the MLB throws out even more money than I suspected at these high draft picks. #79 in the draft in 2014 got a $700K signing bonus. Move up to #50 and it shoots up to $1.8 million. #100 got $500K. It would seem it might be tough to keep this kid. but you never know. Every year a few of these early drafted players do go to college for a couple of years but it's the minority.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2014/6/9...gnings-tracker

That said, this can only be considered a MAJOR recruiting coup for Coach Littlewood, especially considering that Kyle Dean isn't even LDS. This is decidely not the kind of player Vance Law was bringing into the program, and the fact that he got him committed and signed is a very good thing even if he takes the money. A poster on another site who has watched him play said this is the type of player who would come right in and bat over .400. Those are the kinds of players BYU used to get in the 80s and early 90s. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for BYU baseball.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-08-2015 at 06:16 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote