View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think the judgement of men whether it be mission president or high council to be a bit on the Tex side of power mongering and graceless.
Oh my. What a graceless thing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
My experience is that alot more missionaries are being sent home early, sometimes for questionable reasons and the negative consequences to the missionary and his/her family are severe and lifelong. For good reason, I have strong feelings on this topic. ...
So it is your contention that your niece's ambivalent feelings toward the church and her parents' troubled marriage can all be laid at the feet of a mission president who sent her home prematurely?

I've known a few missionaries to come home early in my day. Some weather it and some don't, and as you note, much of their success has to do with the support they receive from those around them.

I can think of one relative in particular who returned home after 2 days in the MTC to resolve some chastity issues. He came home "on fire" as they say, reading his scriptures every day, determined to return. He unfortunately did not receive good priesthood support. The brethren around him tragically dropped the ball, were indifferent to his circumstances, and eventually he fell away. His family remains active and he is not hostile to the church, but he has "moved on." He is still young, and we can remain hopeful, but I wonder how much different his life would have been had he received the local support he needed.

That being said, I find your story to be a little one-sided. While there are those in any ward who judge and demean someone who returns early, I have not encountered the widespread ostracism you describe ... to the point of destroying someone's marriage. If what you say is really true, then obviously there is a problem with much of the community in which they live. It is without question contrary to the spirit of everything the gospel means.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote