View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think Bronco is a genius. He doesn't like recruiting. He doesn't like begging teens to come to BYU, knowing that most won't come anyway (such is the nature of recruiting). He hates the 24/7 phone calls and text messages, hates the time away from his family.

So he said "screw it, we'll just go after the ones that want to come here. Cuts down on the work, and we'll get about as good as guys as we got before."

Then he couches this philosophy in religious window dressing. Only the righteous will come. And the blue chippers who don't come, well, they probably don't have righteous desires.

The mullahs eat it up. And in the meantime, Bronco gets to sit down with his family at dinner and not have to do the same kinds of things that the Sabans and Meyers have to do.

Unfortunately this philosophy compounds on itself, because now you don't put anyone into the NFL. And that in and of itself is a huge warning sign to all good recruits. You're better off going to MWC Boise State than BYU, and that's God's truth.
I'm old enough to remember when from the early 80s until at least the late 90s you could consistently see 15-20 guys in the NFL who played at BYU. A couple would retire every year, but another 3 or 4 would go in. Now there is only like 5 or 6 BYU players total currently in the NFL. I don't follow the NFL that much, but knowing that really bugs me. Historically we're better than this. If the current staff is ok with that, then that's a problem. I fear that Bronco thinks it's ok. Crowton was a terrible coach, but even he kept the pipeline going into the NFL. They just weren't winning when they were at BYU, but the talent was there. The talent has really taken a hit since then.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-06-2015 at 08:48 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote