View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I recognize that. The elephants are as old as the hills and remember everything. Crowton was a disorganized plays-on-paper-napkins mad scientist coach.

Bronco promised to be the reformer. First season was a bowl loss to finish 6-6 if I recall correctly. But we had the sense that there was someone steady at the helm. And the disasters of zero-effort blowout losses were the rear view mirror. Some good years with Beck and Max Hall at QB. But still did not get over the hump, and it was clear that we were surpassed by schools like Boise State, Utah, and TCU.

We've seen the best that Bronco has to offer. And Bronco, I believe, simultaneously sells excellence and mediocrity. He promises championships and is aspirational, but he also implies that what we have now is the best we can do given the constraints of our religion. We are a service academy of Christ. No one cries when Navy is 7-5. No one should cry if BYU is 8-5.
I don't think Bronco thinks 8-5 is ok. But I also think he probably doesn't want to change things in any substantial way. Every year there are things that tease us into thinking greatness is imminent, so Bronco and many of the fans get lulled into a false sense of security. Then stuff happens and we're 8-5 again.