View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good point. However, had it just been a documentary, it would have been aired on Nova or the Discovery Channel. Or the National Geographic Channel, perhaps. Would have generated a little buzz. But throw in the full Hollywood production on top of the fascinating history angle and you get this:

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltim...ion=world-wide

No other movie in history has even come close. Look how far ahead of the second place movie it is. Mind-boggling when you think about it.
I'd be curious to know how much of that money made by this movie came from teenage girls who had no interest in the ship or the history of that event, but to see Lenny's pouty face. I know a girl who was 15 at the time it was released (a friend's daughter) who saw the movie something close to 25 times in the theater with her friends.

I agree that the interest in the Titanic would have not been like it was had it been a documentary; however, I would have gladly paid the money to see it rather than telling my wife about 1/2 way through it to wake me up when it was over and wishing I had spent the money on an extra large meal from Arby's (which I don't like).

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote