View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
On its face, the story makes the bishop sound stupid, but I try never to accept such stories at face value. The action has apparently been reviewed by the bishop, stake president (who I believe to be a very bright and savvy guy), President Samuelson and an apostle. The likelihood of administrative stupidity decreases (but admittedly doesn’t disappear) with so many involved.

I was also amused by the sentence: “An anonymous e-mail alerted The Tribune to the situation, not the Walton family.” I assume the Trib author meant “An anonymous e-mail, not from the Walton family, alerted The Tribune to the situation.” Isn’t the statement inherently self-contradicting? If the e-mail author were truly anonymous how could we know it wasn’t from the Waltons?

The biggest problem I have with the story is that we’re unlikely ever to know the truth. The only persons who are quoted with respect to the facts of the case are the Waltons who can’t be expected to be objective. And the apparent bad guys in the story cannot comment. If they’re withholding information that would vindicate them, I honor their fidelity to their obligations of confidentiality. At the moment, we just don’t know if they’re heroes or jerks.
MY comments and opinon here should be taken based on suppositions I am making. I am freely admitting I don't know the whole story.

I can see though how even if Samuelson or an Apostle disagreed, there is nothing they could do. The churches very discipline and lack of chaos is based on strict adherance to it's structure. The Bishop determines worthiness. Can you imagine if in this case he was overruled.

They are many within BYU and outside of BYU that think atletics gets too much emphasis and attention. Many would just as soon do away with the programs.

Can you imagine if it got around a Bishop was overruled in an athletes case. Now, there we would have a story. It is possible something unfair can occur and let go for the sake of the greater goal of maintaining structure and discipline.

Since my divorce my attendance at church hasn't been exemplary. I haven't attended Sunday School in 15 years. I have had Bishops sign my Temple Recommend no problem. I had one who refused to 3 years ago unless my attendance including SS got in line with his thinking. I haven't attended the Temple since.

I am not blaming him and believe he had every right as the Bishop to require that. Perhaps I have hurt myself and that is why I am more rebellious than I used to be.

The Lord and I will have to sort it out. For those of you who are concerned about my soul and wish to lecture me, don't.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote