View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/u...rist&printer=1

This sucker should never work again. This is outrageous.

I don't know what you think the cop did wrong. Any time you get a traffic ticket the police can arrest you or they can release you on a summons, which you have to sign as acknowledgment that you will appear on the court date indicated. If you won't sign then the officer arrests you.

Here, the guy wouldn't sign. The officer orders him out and attempts to arrest him. He tells him to place his hand behind his back which is a perfectly lawful command. The guy says no then tries to walk away. The officer could have tackled him, taken his legs out with a baton, etc to effect the arrest. Reasonable force can be used to make an arrest. I think he actually employed the least harmful tactic he had available. If he tackles him he risks being injured. A gun was not called for at that juncture.

Help me understand what is improper here. You sign your ticket or you get arrested, period. You disobey the lawful command of an officer who is arresting you, expect you are going to be subdued. Looks proper to me. Maybe I have missed something.