View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:26 AM   #3
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Default I'm with you most of the way...

The only thing I don't like is artwork out of place.

I like creative architecture but I firmly believe it should blend with its surroundings. I'd like something in the Southwest done in a way that really fits into the sandstone. I'm not big on the wanna be mexican haciendas or the chaco style adobe houses, but the color and layout shoud accent the landscape.

My friend lives in a house in SE Utah with its own well. Most of the neigborhood taps the same aquafier. Filter out the heavy metals in the water and it's more pure than anything we drink.

The house he's in right now is pretty much a shack but he's thinking of rebuilding. He's been showing me a bunch of stuff on straw bale (sp?) houses. He's been doing all sorts of homework on passive cooling and heating systems. He figures he'll be able to heat and cool his house with about 1/3 the electricity of a normal house.

He's been looking at diesel generator systems (as backup) with fuel storage. He figures that with the food storage, the well, the smart design, the generator and some diesel fuel storage, he would probably be able to run his house for about a year even if he were completely cut off from any other services.

I told him that he wouldn't be able to get high speed internet or ESPN and he considered scrapping the whole idea. I guess living cut off for a year didn't sound all that appealing anymore.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote