View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Our lesson on Romans was today. I studied a lot (at least for me, relatively) this week and have enjoyed the study. Here are my comments.

1. IMHO, too many Mormons seem to want to write Romans off as..."Romans were hung up on the law and works, especially circumcision, and Paul was talking to them. The theology Paul preaches is incomplete and not worthy to discuss on its own."
Lots of interesting points Jay. I think number (1) is important. I think this statement is generally true. I think there is a tendency to believe that we are already know what the scriptures say. Let the text speak to you; try to encounter it from a new direction. I think, generally speaking, a lot of people read Romans in a reactionary mode or defensive mode. That locks in a certain view and isn't necessary. It is such a beautiful epistle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
11. Nice mix of males and females he counts as church leadership in chapter 16.
I think that is a wonderful thing about early Christianity: the prominence of woman. Regardless of how a person reads those specific verses, it does underscore their prominence and importance to the early Christian movement. Also for those that are intrigued by the Junia issue (female and an apostle issue), see Kevin Barney's discussion of Ben Witherington's Bible Review article:

http://www.bycommonconsent.com/2007/06/elder-joanna/

Last edited by pelagius; 10-15-2007 at 12:09 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote