View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbikeboy View Post
I'm just one of the working poor (okay, sports photographer). I've been covering all the racing events this past week for various bike and sport magazines like Luv2Bike (a new local cycling mag), Triathlete Mag, MTO Bikes, and Mountain Bike Action (if they go for it --my Cactus Cup shots).

Anyway, I think Greg feels his career was cut short by the dopers. There was that Greg LeMond special a year or two ago where you could see his frustration when he mentioned that guys who were off the back one year were suddenly much, much faster the next year. At the same time Greg felt he was in better condition than the year before and he was struggling to keep up. Not long after that season the Festina doping scandal broke and some of his suspicions were confirmed.

Zoom forward a few years and you see this rider win all these TDFs and people attribute it to training and dedication (no question). At the same, just about all the top riders in the peloton behind had been caught or named in doping investigations. If I remember correctly it is something like 8 of the top 10 in the 2005 TDF have been caught or investigated.

I think that Greg feels that there has been very little meaningful change in the doping regulation and enforcement and also a real lack of desire for Pro Tour / UCI / ASO to really change anything -- you know the bite the hand that feeds you type of thing.

I believe Greg when he says he loves the sport and wants to fix it. I talked to him and he really is sincere in this desire. He loves to ride and talk about cycling and can still kick some behind when he rides. I think it is ironic that people are so fast to jump to Lance's defense when it is most likely that he too has benefited from a rigorous pharmacological program before and after cancer treatment. But he is a national hero and anyone questioning him will be vilified.

Yesterday Greg was asking for data from Lance's earlier career that can be compared to current tests. There should be no doubt that Lance will be riding clean this time around. I still root for Lance when he races --maybe not as much as I used to though. Just like I did for Jan, Tyler, Michael, Alex and Floyd.

mbb
You ride for Luv2Bike or just photograph for them? I've seen them at the crits and their new kits.

Are you a west sider near Red Rock or an East sider?