View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Thansk for the insight on Lemond. He is a great rider. But let's not mince words. He has one goal when he demands to see LA's prior data; he wants to bust LA for doping. I am not sure this is a very laudable goal at this point.

I concur that it looks pretty likely that LA used drugs somehow. as you say, most of his rivals have almost certianly imbibed and he slapped them around annually like they were using training wheels. To do that clean he would have to be a freak of nature (and there is a chance that is exactly what he is).

Now, if you are interested in cleaning up cycling (as opposed to justifying your own inglorious recusal from the peloton 20 years ago) then I can't imagine why you would slam LA at that news conference on that issue. Here is a guy (LA) who will be clean, and who will make more info publicly available in almost real time than any one ever has, and Lemond shows up and complains about it becasue he isn't releasing info that might prove that LA doped in the past.

Sorry, as much as I like Lemond (and I do, despite how this probabyl sounds) I think his timing was very poor, that he is an inarticualte advocate on behalf of this issue, and that he should approach it differently

I hope you'll stick around and drop us tidbits of info as you come across them. Also, please let us know when some of your work is publsihed on line so we can check it out. Are you going to be covering the Tour de Calif.? I am planning on volunteering at a stage or two.
I agree with your sentiments, and we cyclists should remember how narcissistic a sport cycling is, and that will tell how much more narcissistic its top heroes are. Greg is no exception. I see no benefit in trying to bring Lance down, especially in light of his existing goals, to promote cancer awareness and to do it cleanly.

Greg comes across now as, "I know I'm right, I know I'm right and everybody must listen to me."

Tearing down its one true star will not help the sport, but working with him might. Greg's performance was in poor taste.