View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I dunno about that. Maybe he could have called that it would have started in South Carolina, given the tariff issues around that time, but most people worried about sectionalism thought of it in terms of East v. West rather than North v. South. The tiff over the tariffs, if you will remember, was between Jackson, from Tennessee, and Calhoun, from South Carolina. Even when the war did come about, most thought it would be over quickly. The South calling upon Great Britain, well, that's like BYU beating UNLV; you expect that, but they still get at least a little credit for winning. That slaves should rise up against their masters wasn't a terribly novel thought, but that it would take many days for it to happen was somewhat more novel; most doomsday scenarios predicted that the war would be triggered by a slave revolt, such as John Brown's assault on Harpers Ferry. Is verse 5 talking about the Ku Klux Klan?

I think it's a little more substantial than what any old body in 1832 could have whipped out.
I think the fact that the avg. Mormon member might not be able to tell you about this prophecy tells you about its value and relevance in the church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote