View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Mike, I'm a tribalist in every sense of the word. I'm a tribalist when it's not cool to be a tribalist. I'm the BYU geek that sticks out in a land of BYU supporters. I'll pimp Romney knowing it betrays my own personal views on politics.

You could say I'm for "mainstreaming" of the church but I call it a return to the foundations of doctrines in the Book of Mormon and other LDS scripture. Jesus Christ should be the emphasis. There does need to be a shift in works/grace to better match the Book of Mormon. You can call it mainstreaming and dissolution of our identity and brand but I don't see it that way at all. Our tribal aspects are a cultural thing. We must not let any aspect of tribalism affect the truths of the gospel we teach. Tribalism has to do with non-doctrinal issues such as business, entertainment, and politics.

Would you sacrifice truth for tribalism? No. We seek truth and correct doctrine irrespective of how it affects our relation to others.
I am a believer in original Mormonism. I am a Joseph Smith Mormon, not a Covey Mormon, not a Stephen Robinson Mormon, not a Deseret Book Mormon.

We are ballast on opposite ends of the ship. There is a place for everything you said. I personally feel the ship has tipped too far and is now plowing through the water, and I advocate more ballast on my end.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote