View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
From the Oct. 1992 Ensign, p. 60:

"When churches or church leaders choose to enter the public sector to engage in debate on a matter of public policy, they should be admitted to the debate and they should expect to participate in it on the same basis as all other participants. In other words, if churches or church leaders choose to oppose or favor a particular piece of legislation, their opinions should be received on the same basis as the opinions offered by other knowledgeable organizations or persons, and they should be considered on their merits. By the same token, churches and church leaders should expect the same broad latitude of discussion of their views that conventionally applies to everyone else’s participation in public policy debates. A church can claim access to higher authority on moral questions, but its opinions on the application of those moral questions to specific legislation will inevitably be challenged by and measured against secular-based legislative or political judgments.”
That's a really interesting quote. On the one hand, it legitimizes churches' involvement in the legislative or policy-forming processes. On the other hand, it acknowledges the secular nature of the institutions that make these decisions.

I guess expecting a "broad latitude of discussion" doesn't really surrender any ground.