cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Top 5 MCs

OK I'm going to just throw out longevity on this one, if it required longevity no way Nas makes this list because he had one great album. I'm going to go strictly by rapping ability.

1. Talib Kweli: I'm going to get some real resistance to this one, but when he was on his game he was the best. I will say that Kweli has really gone downhill over the years. He peaked with Reflection Eternal and it hasn't been the same since, Beautiful Struggle was just a huge disappointment across the board. Oh and I have Jay-Z in my corner on this one.
If skills sold.
Truth be told.
I'd probably be
Lyricly
Talib Kweli
2. Nas: He has one good album to his credit, then he decided to go pop-rap when he lost all the Source awards to the overrated in every way Notorious B.I.G. However, listen to One Mic, he still has it, he just doesn't use it enough.
3. Common: I think the best example of Common as a MC is Resurrection, just a great album from an MCing standpoint. Production was not up to a lot of his other releases.
4. KRS-One: My Philosophy is a great example of why he is on this list.
5. Chuck D

Honorable mention: pretty much all the Wu-Tang Clan, except ODB. Guru
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
OK I'm going to just throw out longevity on this one, if it required longevity no way Nas makes this list because he had one great album. I'm going to go strictly by rapping ability.

1. Talib Kweli: I'm going to get some real resistance to this one, but when he was on his game he was the best. I will say that Kweli has really gone downhill over the years. He peaked with Reflection Eternal and it hasn't been the same since, Beautiful Struggle was just a huge disappointment across the board. Oh and I have Jay-Z in my corner on this one.
If skills sold.
Truth be told.
I'd probably be
Lyricly
Talib Kweli
2. Nas: He has one good album to his credit, then he decided to go pop-rap when he lost all the Source awards to the overrated in every way Notorious B.I.G. However, listen to One Mic, he still has it, he just doesn't use it enough.
3. Common: I think the best example of Common as a MC is Resurrection, just a great album from an MCing standpoint. Production was not up to a lot of his other releases.
4. KRS-One: My Philosophy is a great example of why he is on this list.
5. Chuck D

Honorable mention: pretty much all the Wu-Tang Clan, except ODB. Guru
My rap knowledge ended suddenly in the late 80's. From that era, I like your KRS-1 and of course Chuck D, and I liked Kool Moe Dee and maybe Easy E too.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote