cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU vs Jackson St analysis

Just a little background on Jackson st. They are by far the best opponent we have played so far, they are a tournament team from a year ago, an all black school, their pg was very quick and they had a PF #44 Caldwell that was a tough player, no push over for sure, but obviously not a stellar team. They were up 26-24 with 7 minutes left in the first half and BYU went on a 41-7 run. They subbed out all the starters with 15 minutes to play in the game and finished the game with a combination of Vuk/Miles at Center, Collinsworth, Fredette, Loyd, and Martineau.

Trent Plaisted in only 19 minutes had 21 points and 7 rebounds, by far his best game of the season, he was very assertive in teh low post, and he was hitting jump hooks with his left and right hand, he had a great game tonight, he was also 5-6 from the foul line.

Tavernari- He didnt get a ton of open looks, but still managed to go 5-9 from teh floor for 13 points, he never really hit that hot streak that he is known for but he had a solid game.

Cummard- another great game for Lee, he is everywhere on defense 14 pts, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 1 block. He had a few fast break layups, a nice 3 from the corner to ignite a run, I thought this was his best game of the season as well.

Burgess- Like I said earlier in the year one night Burgess will get you 18-20 the next he may only get you 6, but he is a vital part of this team, he had 7 pts and 5 rebounds in very limited minutes, but he played good defense and feeds the post very well.

Murdock- did his job, pushed it past half court and got rid of it, thats all we need, he played against a much quicker pg tonight and did a decent job of staying with him. Murdock also had 8 assists.

Collinsworth- I went to the game with a former college basketball player, and he loved Collinsworth, told me that it is very clear that he knows how to play the game, makes great decisions and he is very basketball savvy. We called him a poor mans Lee Cummard. He is a great addition to this team and he had 10 rebounds tonight.

Fredette- Played the 2nd most minutes tonight, he has unbelievably quick hands, the guy I went with also like Fredettes game a lot, he said he was a smaller version of Collinsworth, not overly quick, not overly athletic but has very basketball instincts. Fredette was slapping at balls constantly and he had 4 steals tonight to go with 7 points and 4 assists. This kid is going to be a player.

Loyd- He had his coming out party, he only played 20 minutes and had 15 points 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals, after the game Dave Rose said besides Cummard that Loyd was the best on the ball defender on the team. That is very high praise for freshman. Rose is right Loyd gets after on defense, he did a very nice job tonight.

Vuk/Miles- I lump them together because they are imo 5 fouls each, and not much else. They both did a decent job tonight, they played adequate post defense, and the offense didnt stall to much with them in there, they will be needed this season that is for sure.

Overall a great game tonight, I think it was the most complete game we have played all year, we contineu to get better, I expect us to blowout Hartford on Tuesday and imo we make a game of it against Louisville and it can go either way. I look forward to seeing how this team does against some tougher competition, but they have already beat 2 tourney teams from a year ago.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the first I've seen of this year's Cougars (thanks to BYUTV).

The team looks good and deep. The competition so far hasn't been stellar, but two years ago we struggle against JSU and finally pull ahead and win by 20. This game was over by half and really over 8 minutes into the second half.

Jimmer looks like he was born and raised on a basketball court. He is the game.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Loyd played fantastic and calms my back up for Murdock fears. Murdock's playing very solid as well. Collinsworth is a Cummard at the 4 position, a step slower but better rebounder. Plaisted dominated. Team looked great.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Loyd played fantastic and calms my back up for Murdock fears. Murdock's playing very solid as well. Collinsworth is a Cummard at the 4 position, a step slower but better rebounder. Plaisted dominated. Team looked great.
I'm continuing my unbridled optimism regarding Collinsworth. I really like his versatility and ability to play the game. I stand by my assertion that he will be the best of our crop of excellent true freshmen.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote