cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Teaching

So, we just had Stake Conference and our visting GA was Dellenbach of the Seventy. In the Priesthood leadership meeting I expected the usual raking over the coals about home teaching. We got it (Stakewide % is around 50) in a manner that I've never personally heard. It was gentle but direct and it went something like this:

Dellenbach: "We're instituing a "3 strikes and your in" policy. If someone doesn't do their hometeaching for 3 months in a row they will be called into the Stake President's office where they will be asked to explain why." In this interview they will be told that a man who does not do his hometeaching is a man that cannot be trusted. A man that cannot be trusted cannot go to the Celestial Kingdom. So where will he go?"

Guy in audience: "One of the other 2 Kingdoms?"

Dellenbach: "Yes, what do we call those?"

Guy in audience: "Telestial and Terrestial."

Dellenbach: "We call those hell."

Having been both a crappy and a pretty good home teacher at various stages in my life, I was happy to be in a period of "pretty good" at this point. :shock:
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see that fear of being shamed is still being used to motivate our people.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
Good to see that fear of being shamed is still being used to motivate our people.
The weird thing is (and you probably had to be there to get it all in context) that it didn't really come across as that shaming type of behavior. It was more of an accountability issue. "Look, we need you to help these people and you've said you would. Why aren't you?" But believe me, I'm glad I'm not the guy who has to give that lecture because there have been several times in my life when I would not have reacted to such a lecture very well.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Blue Heart

Blue Heart
Default I think the Stake bit off a little more then they can chew

Dellenbach: "We're instituing a "3 strikes and your in" policy. If someone doesn't do their hometeaching for 3 months in a row they will be called into the Stake President's office where they will be asked to explain why."

When it comes to this issue are they saying that if a Hometeachers does not go out at all for 3 months or if one family is missed for 3 months. I have 3 active and 3 inactive families. I get the active families pretty easily but it is tough to catch the inactives. They make up excuses and it is hard to schedule them. I know I would have at least one family that I did not get at least once in 3 months so the Stake would be seeing me often and I am an above average hometeacher. The stake will be spending too much time on this to make it really work.
Blue Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe they should put a list of Hometeaching companions who didn't do their home teaching on front door. then they would realize what their responsibilities are.

All kidding aside it reminds me of my mission where if you didn't teach 22 discussions each week you had to call president and explain to him why you didnt do that. So people ended up teaching bad discussions every sunday to meet their quota
Old 01-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Default Re: I think the Stake bit off a little more then they can ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heart

When it comes to this issue are they saying that if a Hometeachers does not go out at all for 3 months or if one family is missed for 3 months.
My personal interpretation was that it was directed at those who did no hometeaching for 3 months in a row.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
All kidding aside it reminds me of my mission where if you didn't teach 22 discussions each week you had to call president and explain to him why you didnt do that. So people ended up teaching bad discussions every sunday to meet their quota
Wow, it would have taken us 25 days to teach 22 discussions, including the "bad" ones. We only had to explain why we didn't work 70 hours if we hadn't. The definition of work got pretty liberal for some until that president left.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

each companionship in my ward is assigned at least 8 or so families.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

We have three families assigned to us at most. That's the benefit of having a ward that's 85% active. :lol:
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
each companionship in my ward is assigned at least 8 or so families.
Sounds like many of the wards in our Stake. And I'm sure the majority of those 8 are inactive. The weird thing for me is that I prefer the bulk of my assignment being inactive families/individuals. I've always found it awkward to be sitting in the living room of an active family and giving the same basic "lesson" that they are giving 8 times that month.