cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Philosophy: how to enter

I'm not certain how the bulk of you first encoutered the work of philosophers, but mine was unintended. I needed a general education class my freshman year, so I saw an introductory class to philosophy. I took two of them. They fit into my time schedule. That's how much planning my foray into a wonderful but perplexing world began.

Two revelations came to me, I didn't know what I thought I knew, and in fact, knowledge was very ephemeral, and language which appeared simple could be very difficult. I didn't know how to wrap my head around the philosophers. But I found at the library at BYU some wonderful helps, namely an Encyclopedia of Philosophy. I would read what others believed was being said, and then read excerpts. If I liked what I read, then I would read an entire work unless more was required by classes. If it was a translation, I would go get the original only to discover it was as indecipherable as the English.

However, I don't find any philosopher meaningful unless I read something that places it into context of the larger philosophical debates. It therefore requires significant work to learn Rawls, Pearce, Gadamer or Benjamin. Kant is still a work in process, but James is quite readable.

Anybody else have similar experiences? As those more facile with philosophy can determine I am not adept at philosophical discussion but I do appreciate the expansion of my mind which entering this world causes.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Should Philosophy topics become a regular inhabitant of the Religion forum?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Do you object? In my mind the run parallel paths, like those along a river of truth, sometimes intersecting, sometimes overlapping and sometimes diverging.

To me, it's the most related, but I'm happy to find a different discussion forum.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm not certain how the bulk of you first encoutered the work of philosophers, but mine was unintended. I needed a general education class my freshman year, so I saw an introductory class to philosophy. I took two of them. They fit into my time schedule. That's how much planning my foray into a wonderful but perplexing world began.

Two revelations came to me, I didn't know what I thought I knew, and in fact, knowledge was very ephemeral, and language which appeared simple could be very difficult. I didn't know how to wrap my head around the philosophers. But I found at the library at BYU some wonderful helps, namely an Encyclopedia of Philosophy. I would read what others believed was being said, and then read excerpts. If I liked what I read, then I would read an entire work unless more was required by classes. If it was a translation, I would go get the original only to discover it was as indecipherable as the English.

However, I don't find any philosopher meaningful unless I read something that places it into context of the larger philosophical debates. It therefore requires significant work to learn Rawls, Pearce, Gadamer or Benjamin. Kant is still a work in process, but James is quite readable.

Anybody else have similar experiences? As those more facile with philosophy can determine I am not adept at philosophical discussion but I do appreciate the expansion of my mind which entering this world causes.
I took the initial GE philosphy class and came away convinced that my brain was too small. When a girl I knew, a bonafide airhead, pulled an A in the class, I swore off the subject. I think I was too concerned with "hooking up."

Perhaps its time to give it another go.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I took the initial GE philosphy class and came away convinced that my brain was too small. When a girl I knew, a bonafide airhead, pulled an A in the class, I swore off the subject. I think I was too concerned with "hooking up."

Perhaps its time to give it another go.
That's funny. I had a similar experience in a political philosphy class. I had a mission buddy in the course and I didn't think he was very bright. Needless to say, my B was humbled by his A.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get an "A" in a philosophy class, is it really an "A"?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't know...but anomalous monism and masoretic texts? wow. I'm so lost.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That's funny. I had a similar experience in a political philosphy class. I had a mission buddy in the course and I didn't think he was very bright. Needless to say, my B was humbled by his A.
It reminds me of the philosophy major guys laughing at me because of my inane comments while I was quietly pleased with good grades despite being the class dummy. Sometimes the dumbest amongst classmates learns by listening. or by voicing stupid thoughts to improve them.

Same in law school. We had study groups and it was always a fight for the "smart" kids to exclude the ordinary dummies. However, if you schmoozed just right, you could slide in unnoticed taking advantage of the superior wisdom of the brainiacs. Works almost every time.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Excellent.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It depends upon what it represents. A for average, A for asshole, A for above average or A for as good as it gets.

In one class, we had the prof tell us to pick our grades. I picked an A naturally and defended to the extent that I got an A. Others for reasons unknown to me picked below As and received what they picked.