cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Could the Knicks make a trade push for Carmello?

I think Carmello would be a good fit in New York with D'Antoni's style of play. I think he'd fit in well there with the media attention, be a fan favorite as he played his college ball at Syracuse and lead them to a title.

Denver is reportedly listening to trade offers for Carmello. Would it be worth it if they built a package around either Marbury's expiring K and this years draft pick, or around Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry? If you are Denver you already have Camby in the post, so you aren't as hurt by Randolph's lack of defense.

I think it is one trade that might make some sense. Although it certainly would hurt NY's chances of being significantly under the salary cap for 2010... but they'd land their "star" player in Carmello. It'd be the splash that the Garden needs.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I think Carmello would be a good fit in New York with D'Antoni's style of play. I think he'd fit in well there with the media attention, be a fan favorite as he played his college ball at Syracuse and lead them to a title.

Denver is reportedly listening to trade offers for Carmello. Would it be worth it if they built a package around either Marbury's expiring K and this years draft pick, or around Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry? If you are Denver you already have Camby in the post, so you aren't as hurt by Randolph's lack of defense.

I think it is one trade that might make some sense. Although it certainly would hurt NY's chances of being significantly under the salary cap for 2010... but they'd land their "star" player in Carmello. It'd be the splash that the Garden needs.
Except sign Carmello and very doubtful they land LeBron. I know that they play different positions, but the odds of landing both are very slim.

That being said, landing both of them would be star power at a megawatt level. the Knicks might actually become half as important as they think they really are.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Pot is probably more accessible in NY than Denver. So it would be good for Carmello too.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Except sign Carmello and very doubtful they land LeBron. I know that they play different positions, but the odds of landing both are very slim.

That being said, landing both of them would be star power at a megawatt level. the Knicks might actually become half as important as they think they really are.
If Lebron leaves Cleveland, he'll sign with the Rockafeller Nets and his homeboy Jay-Z. I could see them making a play to be far enough under though to land more of a B+ level name to pair alongside Carmello, which would still make them pretty good.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
If Lebron leaves Cleveland, he'll sign with the Rockafeller Nets and his homeboy Jay-Z. I could see them making a play to be far enough under though to land more of a B+ level name to pair alongside Carmello, which would still make them pretty good.
I know of the Jay Z connection, but why go to NYC to play in Brooklyn when you can be the face of the Knicks?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

Any team that trades for Z-Bo are idiots end of story. I wonder if the Hoop Family would welcome a trade to Denver or not. They were not happy to leave Portland, but the residents were happy to lose them.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

For those unfamiliar with the Hoop Family.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ba...y_glasses.html
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:13 AM   #8
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I know of the Jay Z connection, but why go to NYC to play in Brooklyn when you can be the face of the Knicks?
What is the difference? It isn't like the Knicks have a history ripe with winning titles (neither do the Nets for that matter) and they don't have the fan base across the country that the Celtics or Lakers have. If you go to NYC or Brooklyn, you'll rake in the endorsement dollars the same.

I am not sure that LBJ leaves Cleveland when it comes down to it, unless their roster is in such awful shape that they have no hope of cleaning it up.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #9
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Any team that trades for Z-Bo are idiots end of story. I wonder if the Hoop Family would welcome a trade to Denver or not. They were not happy to leave Portland, but the residents were happy to lose them.
I am not a fan of Randolph by any stretch of the imagination. However, with the 3rd highest payroll in the league, getting swept out of the playoffs cannot make Denver very happy. Iverson has one more year left on his K at roughly $20 mil per, but other than that they have no salary relief coming as Carmello, Kenyon Martin and Nene all have $45 mil tied up in their three salaries alone through 2009/2010. And honestly, with AI aging, is this team going to get any better? Martin and Nene both have injury histories, and the only real young "talent" they have on the team besides Carmello is JR Smith and Linas Kleaza.

I guess if you are Denver, you look at your roster and try to figure out if Carmello is good enough to get you where you want to go. Personally, I do not think that he is. Of course, the only thing you could really get from the Knicks is maybe David Lee and their high draft pick this year, hoping to turn it into a Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley.

The only other way would be if you could have a three team deal with a team looking strictly for cap space centered around Marbury's deal. Of course, none of the Knicks players are that desireable and all have awful contracts. It just goes to show the utter incompetance of Isaiah.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Since we are floating the wild stuff out there, there was some talk today about Artest wanting to come to LA this summer.

Probable? No.

Possible? Definitely. He is a FA this summer and needs some image rehabbing.

From a chemistry standpoint, not a great idea, although he is friends with Kobe and Lamar.

From an insurance standpoint, not a bad idea, esp if the Bynum injury is worse than the Lakers are letting on. For all we know, Bynum can pull a Greg Oden next year and be out for months after surgery.

Having a lineup of Fisher, Kobe, Lamar, Artest, and Gasol would be pretty interesting.

99% chance it doesnt happen, but fun to float.