cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Escape

Sorry if this is miscategorized but my thoughts are more political than literary...

My wife just finished the book "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop, about her escape from the FLDS colony. She's been pointing out small excerpts from it that have gotten me thinking. Before reading this, both of us felt that Texas CPS overstepped their bounds; now I'm not so sure.

I wondered initially why they didn't just go in and remove the children who were the suspected victims. As you read this story though, you start to realize just how evil Warren Jeffs was. I used to think he was just some crazy fundamentalist, when in reality, this was man was far more--he was physically, sexually, and mentally abusing people of all ages, including young boys and girls. His crimes extended far beyond just religious misguidance. Families would disappear, and no one to this day, even IN the sect, knows where they are. The book is aptly titled--it was literally an escape to get out.

With that in mind, I'm starting to think all of the children in the colony were in "imminent danger". That's not to say they were all being abused, and I'm not saying all the adults were evil, but it's certainly hard to sort out who's in danger while the children are in the colony. I don't understand all the legal issues involved, but I can see where the CPS was coming from.

It's also sort of creepy to read some of the religious language these leaders were using. Much of it will sound very familiar to Mormons, and you realize that everything's in place for our leaders to do the same thing Jeffs did. It's a credit to them that they haven't.

I'm excited to read the whole book through now that my wife's done.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you hear about the sex rites in Mormon temples as well? Scandalous.

I do agree that Jeffs is a bad man, who has led these folks along a path they should have never trod.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Did you hear about the sex rites in Mormon temples as well? Scandalous.

I do agree that Jeffs is a bad man, who has led these folks along a path they should have never trod.
Sex rites in Mormon temples? Please expound...
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Sex rites in Mormon temples? Please expound...
You've never encountered the literature by escaped Mormons exposing this?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You've never encountered the literature by escaped Mormons exposing this?
OK...I see your point.

I can't speak to how fair/unfair Jessop was in her book, as I haven't read it all. My wife does say she was fairly careful to point out some good people in the sect. Jessop seems to think that the base of the FLDS was decent until Jeffs took over. She mentions some of the former leaders in a fairly good light.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
OK...I see your point.

I can't speak to how fair/unfair Jessop was in her book, as I haven't read it all. My wife does say she was fairly careful to point out some good people in the sect. Jessop seems to think that the base of the FLDS was decent until Jeffs took over. She mentions some of the former leaders in a fairly good light.
Yes, I've read about the turn that the FLDS took with Warren Jeffs as their leader. If the FLDS leaders had any smidgen of heavenly inspiration, it was lost when Warren Jeffs took the reigns.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen this lady interviewed on TV and she seems credible. There is another one, I think a Jessop too that seems over the top to me.

While I think the Texans overreacted, I still think there are some sick people in that compound.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

CPS overstepped their authority. One good thing about Warren - he's in prison! Hopefully, they can get rid of any other sick f$@ks in the FLDS within constitutional bounds.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
CPS overstepped their authority. One good thing about Warren - he's in prison! Hopefully, they can get rid of any other sick f$@ks in the FLDS within constitutional bounds.
One thing the book makes clear is that Warren has his supporters (including Jessop's husband) who are nearly as dangerous and now in power. It also makes it clear how difficult it is to escape, as well as protect any of the children while they're in the compound. Like I said earlier, she tells of a few families who "disappeared" and no one to this day knows where they are. One of her own children (whose full custody she had legally obtained) ran away several times back to the compound, and she talks about how difficult it was to get her back each time, even with the help of the police. Part of the problem in Colorado City is that most of the policemen were FLDS members and often turned a blind eye to things. Not sure if the same problem exists in Texas.

Given the impenetrability of the compound and the history of not just polygamy but frank sexual abuse, I'm not convinced that any child in this compound is not in imminent danger, which seems to be the legal standard (attorneys, correct me if I'm wrong).

Another question for attorneys: what is the standard for protection of women who have had children? I know in the ER, they're considered "emancipated", meaning they are considered adults in making medical decisions. Are they considered adults in child protection law as well?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Texas went too far in taking EVERY child without specific proof.

Good thing Jeffs is in prison. He lowered the marriage age from 18 down to as low as 12. He personally married four 12-15 year old girls.