cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Word of God

A simple phrase but one which perplexes me.

Simple things confuse the simple minded I know.

Are the "words of God" actually his words or our perceptions of his ideas?

How does he actually communicate? Telepathically igniting impulses within our brains which thereupon refer to language resources within the brain, making us believe we "hear" the word of God?

If these impulses are non-linguistic directed at the language resources within our brains, would explain why we have different interpretations, in addition to our traditional explanations?

The scroll of Job is interesting. How did that become the Word of God?

And why do scholars now believe there are two or three authors of the Isaiah? I know the traditional answers but still wonder.

Does God speak in a traditional sense? Is communication more subliminal?

Obviously, if a Divine Ruler speaks, it is incumbent upon his subjects to listen and to learn. Thus anything deemed the Word of God should be important.

However, the scriptures are so vastly different, from the Torah to the Talmud, to the New Testament Gospels, letters and gnostic writings.

D&C reads a lot like Leviticus and Numbers or the Qu-ran for that matter. Lots of dictation and instruction, very little additional information.

The Word of God is so varied, so flexible. Absent a spirit of interpretation, we are left for confusion.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'm amazed at the things you guys agonize over.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The Word of God is so varied, so flexible. Absent a spirit of interpretation, we are left for confusion.
Well, it helps to have living prophets to clear things up for us.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Archaea

However the oracle isn't sitting there, as I explain my inquiries, ready to answer my every question.

In fact, Church publications are very plain, watered down and vanilla, not providing much insight.

The average Church publication is written for the insight of the average seventh grader. These publications don't address many inferences or nuances which pique my interest.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

Quote:
However the oracle isn't sitting there, as I explain my inquiries, ready to answer my every question.

In fact, Church publications are very plain, watered down and vanilla, not providing much insight.

The average Church publication is written for the insight of the average seventh grader. These publications don't address many inferences or nuances which pique my interest.
Church publications SHOULD be very plain and watered down.

The numerous and different interpretations of even simple doctrine and policy by posters on this site prove that.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
Archaea

Well they don't answer much, unless I were a seventh grader. I can read and prepare a lesson in less than ten minutes based on the intellectual information provided in the average manual. That shouldn't be.

The average church talk takes about a nanosecond to digest. I agree that the Spirit is still often present and thus makes it worthwhile, but not much is intellectually challenging, or even to the point of answering many questions.

And the problem with simplicity is that they really don't answer questions. Simple answers are mere overviews to the real principles and applications. It's akin to looking a work problems through basic pre-algebraic math, when you really need differential equations. It's expecting Newtonian physics to function at the subatomic level.

Yes life is about prayer, doing good and keeping covenants. That's the executive summary, but not the full report.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Well they don't answer much, unless I were a seventh grader. I can read and prepare a lesson in less than ten minutes based on the intellectual information provided in the average manual. That shouldn't be.

The average church talk takes about a nanosecond to digest. I agree that the Spirit is still often present and thus makes it worthwhile, but not much is intellectually challenging, or even to the point of answering many questions.

And the problem with simplicity is that they really don't answer questions. Simple answers are mere overviews to the real principles and applications. It's akin to looking a work problems through basic pre-algebraic math, when you really need differential equations. It's expecting Newtonian physics to function at the subatomic level.

Yes life is about prayer, doing good and keeping covenants. That's the executive summary, but not the full report.
I think it's also been made very clear that we're not entitled nor prepared yet as a people to receive the full report.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Those that talk about wanting something more intellectual out of church crack me up. Give me an example of something intellectual that should be in a church talk or lesson that isn't, that wouldn't take a nanosecond to digest. It's hard when you're put on the spot isn't it? All those people giving talks and lessons in your ward are simple lay people, most who probably don't have your level of education or maybe even intelligence level. Why crack on them? And what do you add?

When I'm prepared to hear a message, I can find depth in just about anything. IMHO, Luke 15 has simple depth that blows away the "intelligent" discussions that take place here. But I imagine you disagree.

Last edited by jay santos; 10-24-2006 at 10:52 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Maybe it is the full report.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
Archaea

I find trying to understand how God communicates instructive in understanding what to make of teachings attributable to God. The main instructions on this point involve the incident with Elijah and the teachings of Paul, in the epistle to Romans.

Until I understand as much as the context, traditions, and the person who is the vassal of God, I really do not understand the message, except in its diluted form.

I am no intellectual, but unlike some, I hunger for more than mere wrote explanations of simple childlike stories.

For example, we could be given so much more. The Gospels were written with differing perspectives at different times. If our materials explained who scholars believed authored those gospels, how they compared with the gnostic gospels, what deviations or disputes as to the interpretations of the source langauges, whether an allegory is being taught, what the literal application as well as other interpretative forces bear upon the texts, that would be useful.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-25-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote