cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Travis Hansen got Russian citizenship to play on the Russian Olympic team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Hansen

How did I miss that? I like the guy, but who changes citizenship to play on a team? Seems pretty crappy to me.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post

How did I miss that? I like the guy, but who changes citizenship to play on a team? Seems pretty crappy to me.
DIdn't Shawn Bradley pull the same thing for the germans?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Question: does it indicate he changed? Or might he have retained his American citizenship.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You don't have to renounce American citizenship to be granted citizenship elsewhere...

I thought the wave of the future was to have a global community where borders ceased to exist and all people would join hands together in peace and harmony and sing some Coca-Cola commerical.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You don't have to renounce American citizenship to be granted citizenship elsewhere...

I thought the wave of the future was to have a global community where borders ceased to exist and all people would join hands together in peace and harmony and sing some Coca-Cola commerical.
That isn't necessarily true. Many countries won't allow joint citizenship, so if you want to be a citizen of their country, you can't be one of any other country. Other nations don't allow joint citizenship with the US, and the US doesn't allow a change to joint citizenship with some nations as well (after birth). I don't know whether or not you can elect to hold dual citizenship with Russia and the US, but it is strange to me either way.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the Supreme Court ruled that the USA cannot take away citizenship if a person becomes a citizen of another country. You're the lawyer, you should know more about this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That isn't necessarily true. Many countries won't allow joint citizenship, so if you want to be a citizen of their country, you can't be one of any other country. Other nations don't allow joint citizenship with the US, and the US doesn't allow a change to joint citizenship with some nations as well (after birth). I don't know whether or not you can elect to hold dual citizenship with Russia and the US, but it is strange to me either way.
Look at the dual citizenship as like an honorary degree. It was bestowed on Travis Hansen and his wife because of their wonderful civic involvement with orphaned children.

It strikes me as very odd that you of all people should suddenly be getting provincial on a subject like this.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote