cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default My preseason MWC predictions

1. BYU - I think BYU is returning enough from the previous year to be on top, however, they are really going to be pushed and I don't feel strong about this pick. Losing Keena Young is huge, and if the other top teams didn't have a ton of losses too I wouldn't rank them this high.
2. Wyoming - This is my real darkhorse and I feel about 50/50 about putting Wyoming or BYU number one in the conference. Guard play wins in the college game and Wyoming has the best guard play in the conference. Jones and Ewing are the best backcourt in the MWC. Ewing is going to fight it out with Nevill and Cummard for MWC POY. I really like Schroyer as a coach. He knows defense and he knows the MWC, he will be successful
3. Utah - Boylen is doing the right things at Utah. Utah is returning 2 of the top 5 returning scorers in the MWC. The Utes will play defense and this will really help towards rebuilding this team. The problem is the Utes really lack the necessary frontcourt depth.
4. UNLV - lost a ton from last year, but Kruger is a good coach and will keep them competitive
5. UNM - The real wild card of the conference. Lots of talent, but I don't necessarily believe that they will make it through the whole season without suspensions. I don't really believe in Alford as a coach
6. SDSU - Fisher sucks as a coach, he should have been fired. There is talent on this roster, but with Fisher they will suck
7. AFA - they are done and I'm glad
8. TCU - There coach clearly has pictures of the AD having a naked hot tub orgy, either that or he bribed the AD with a naked hot tub orgy. There is no excuse for him having a job.
9. CSU - By all reports Miles was a good hire, but he doesn't have any players. Layer destroyed that program.

All-Conference team
Luke Nevill - Utah
Wink Adams - UNLV
Lee Cummard - BYU
Brandon Ewing - Wyoming
J.R. Giddens - New Mexico (this is assuming he makes it through the season which is an if)
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
1. BYU - I think BYU is returning enough from the previous year to be on top, however, they are really going to be pushed and I don't feel strong about this pick. Losing Keena Young is huge, and if the other top teams didn't have a ton of losses too I wouldn't rank them this high.
2. Wyoming - This is my real darkhorse and I feel about 50/50 about putting Wyoming or BYU number one in the conference. Guard play wins in the college game and Wyoming has the best guard play in the conference. Jones and Ewing are the best backcourt in the MWC. Ewing is going to fight it out with Nevill and Cummard for MWC POY. I really like Schroyer as a coach. He knows defense and he knows the MWC, he will be successful
3. Utah - Boylen is doing the right things at Utah. Utah is returning 2 of the top 5 returning scorers in the MWC. The Utes will play defense and this will really help towards rebuilding this team. The problem is the Utes really lack the necessary frontcourt depth.
4. UNLV - lost a ton from last year, but Kruger is a good coach and will keep them competitive
5. UNM - The real wild card of the conference. Lots of talent, but I don't necessarily believe that they will make it through the whole season without suspensions. I don't really believe in Alford as a coach
6. SDSU - Fisher sucks as a coach, he should have been fired. There is talent on this roster, but with Fisher they will suck
7. AFA - they are done and I'm glad
8. TCU - There coach clearly has pictures of the AD having a naked hot tub orgy, either that or he bribed the AD with a naked hot tub orgy. There is no excuse for him having a job.
9. CSU - By all reports Miles was a good hire, but he doesn't have any players. Layer destroyed that program.

All-Conference team
Luke Nevill - Utah
Wink Adams - UNLV
Lee Cummard - BYU
Brandon Ewing - Wyoming
J.R. Giddens - New Mexico (this is assuming he makes it through the season which is an if)
I haven't followed other MWC teams to know how good they'll be. I know BYU lost a lot. They have the potential to be as good as last year but also could be an NIT team. They're a decent choice for MWC champ because their downside isn't too low.

Utah, I don't know. I know they have some good players, but they had them last year too and did awful. I'm not one to think coaching can make that big of a difference.

Wyoming. They just don't scare me for some reason. Guards may win in March, but you have to have an inside game to win the MWC, especially games on the road.

SDSU should be good. I thought they returned a lot.

UNLV--I don't know much, but I thought Kruger was doing some great recruiting. If so, they'll be good. College basketball is more reloading than rebuilding if you have your recruiting in line.

Here's my bold prediction for this year MWC BB. Plaisted will make a bigger impact in the MWC than anyone's giving him credit for. The guy makes me crazy, but athletically he can be all MWC with a peanut brain. I predict he's first team all MWC and has a reasonable shot at being MWC MVP. He'll be a 15-7 guy with no improvement from last year. And I think he's got a chance to improve on that. We'll see.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

How much of Plaisted not improving can be pinned on coaching? It seems incredible to me that he couldn't have been coached up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How much of Plaisted not improving can be pinned on coaching? It seems incredible to me that he couldn't have been coached up.
It seems incredible to me too, but look at the improvement Haffa made year one to year two. Also look at the improvement Keena made and the post moves he developed while at BYU. It's very perplexing though...
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It seems incredible to me too, but look at the improvement Haffa made year one to year two. Also look at the improvement Keena made and the post moves he developed while at BYU. It's very perplexing though...
Perhaps it's Plaisted after all.

As for Utah, you'll see the difference a coach can make. Giacoletti sucks as a coach. His first year success was all Bogut and no Giac.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I would very much enjoy the Utes imploding this year. Just because I am tired of hearing people rip on Giac.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think I would very much enjoy the Utes imploding this year. Just because I am tired of hearing people rip on Giac.
I understand what you're saying. Crowton was treated much too harshly when he should have been embraced.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

For the first time in a long time this is a Bball year in the MWC where I can't get a feeling one way or the other as to whats going to happen.

It could unfortunately be a year where the MWC only gets 1 NCAA bid.

Right now if I had to choose I guess I'd pick BYU to be #1, but it's very tenuous #1.

I do believe Utah will be much improved as the season progresses and be in the title fight at the end.

Same with BYU.

Crap, I have no idea what to predict this go around.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

All I know is BYU can win the MWC regular season, win the MWC tourny, but if they go "one and done" in the Tourny again the season will be a waste. I'd rather finish 2nd or 3rd in the MWC, but make it to the second round of the Tourny for once.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

NorCal...is that the new 2008 Toyota Corrolla as your avatar? I heard that they were revamping it yet again.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote