cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default why do we have ward conference?

Don't get me wrong--I like it because they shorten the meetings. But I don't really understand what the purpose of it is. Part of the SP was there (and it is the only time you ever see them in our ward), but what's supposed to be different or special about this meeting?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If I understand correctly, each member of the bishopric is supposed to speak in SM, after deciding on which issues would best suit that particular ward. Same concept as General Conference, but on a much more individualized level.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Is that the case in your ward? I can't remember a time I was in a ward where the whole bishopric spoke. Plus, those guys speak all the time, at the very least alternating with the opening testimony in testimony meeting. And the SP spoke, and he has SC as well, not to mention that they send high council speakers each month who supposedly represent him.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Becasue it is called out in the D&C (I think) and we have a tradition to do it. Back in the day they didn't get together every Sunday like we do now.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Becasue it is called out in the D&C (I think) and we have a tradition to do it. Back in the day they didn't get together every Sunday like we do now.
They also held fasting on Thursdays.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Is that the case in your ward? I can't remember a time I was in a ward where the whole bishopric spoke. Plus, those guys speak all the time, at the very least alternating with the opening testimony in testimony meeting. And the SP spoke, and he has SC as well, not to mention that they send high council speakers each month who supposedly represent him.
When your local file leaders speak in church, it usually will be within the designated theme for that meeting. Right now your stake has already established a 2009 calendar that determins what the topic will be for each high council talk, what the monthly themes will be in Primary, and what the monthly ward themes will be, and so on. For example April will probably be Atonement month. And there will be a Temple month somewhere, and a Service month, and a Follow the Prophet month, and so on. Each Sacrament Meeting in that month will have a certain theme within the monthly theme. If high councilman #7 knows he is scheduled to speak in ward #5 in May, he can begin working on that talk already.

During ward conference, there is no established theme handed down by the stake. The bishopric decides what they want to teach the ward. Of course they already do that every month, but within a certain perimeter. Ward conference however is an empty slate.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote