cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: 9/11, I don't know how to say this without sounding like a bad person.

I'm not callous about the lives lost in 9/11. Really. I pored over those thousands of little profiles of the slain in the NYTimes and was extremely moved. The scenes of people jumping to their deaths, etc. were possibly the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

But I have to say, I'm now finding the coverage of the fifth anniversary event a little oppressive. Maybe it's because I have this nagging feeling that if it had happened in Kansas City there'd be a lot less to do about it. I can't really articulate why I feel uneasy about the current dialogue. People died in the Pentagon, didn't they? You never hear anything about that. This event to us is/has become kind of like 10+ million Russian dead in WWII to the Russian people. Maybe it's the combination of the way we (especially New Yorkers) think we're the center of the world, but really we're so removed from it. Our reaction to 9/11 seems to have become a metaphor for that. Maybe it's because I read too much of the NY Times and the New Yorker. I've been treated to every detail of planning for what they're going to do with the site to honor the dead, including the artistic, political and ego squabbles. I stopped reading long ago. I love memorials. The ones in D.C. are some of my favorite places, the way they encapsulate such important, really sacred events and concepts. But right now I feel no urge to go stand in huge lines to see whatever they're going to put at ground 0. Right now it seems kind of more about the living than the dead to me.

Maybe it's because Bush so callously and cynically used 9/11 to incite political support for his adventure in Iraq. Some Israeli folks have pointed out that Americans always expect more self-restraint from them but the Israelis have suffered so much more than we have from terrorism.

The event was horrific. It just seems it's being cast in a somewhat florid light right now. I can't really put my finger on the problem. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm a bad person. I don't mean to be insensitive. Sometimes I just believe less is more.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-11-2006 at 04:25 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

It's probably because you are a bad person. That's no surprise.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
It's probably because you are a bad person. That's no surprise.
The thing I miss about EQ is smart guys like Rocky.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Really it's okay SU, I couldn't think less of you more than I already do anyway so it's all good.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Moments like this make me realize how much I miss the fifth grade.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I'm not callous about the lives lost in 9/11. Really. I pored over those thousands of little profiles of the slain in the NYTimes and was extremely moved. The scenes of people jumping to their deaths, etc. were possibly the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

But I have to say, I'm now finding the coverage of the fifth anniversary event a little oppressive. Maybe it's because I have this nagging feeling that if it had happened in Kansas City there'd be a lot less to do about it. I can't really articulate why I feel uneasy about the current dialogue. People died in the Pentagon, didn't they? You never hear anything about that. This event to us is has become kind of like 10+ million Russian dead in WWII to the Russian people. Maybe it's the combination of the way we (especially New Yorkers) think we're the center of the world, but really we're so removed from it. Our reaction to 9/11 seems to have become a metaphor for that. Maybe it's because I read too much of the NY Times and the New Yorker. I've been treated to every detail of planning for what they're going to do with the site to honor the dead, including the artistic, political and ego squabbles. I stopped reading long ago. I love memorials. The ones in D.C. are some of my favorite places, the way they encapsulate such inmprtant, really sacred events and concepts. But right now I feel no urge to go stand in huge lines to see whatever they're going to put at ground 0. Right now it seems kind of more about the living than the dead to me.

Maybe it's because Bush so callously and cynically used 9/11 to incite political support for his adventure in Iraq. Some Israeli folks have pointed out that Americans always expect more self-restraint from them but the Israelis have suffered so much more than we have from terrorism.

The event was horrific. It just seems it's being cast in a somewhat florid light right now. I can't really put my finger on the problem. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm a bad person. I don't mean to be insensitive. Sometimes I just believe less is more.
A bad person wouldn't worry if he were a bad person. I doubt a bad person introspects.

BTW, I feel the same way. If Seattle had been bombed instead, we'd not have the same bombardment. If Vegas had been bombed, people would have thought we got what we deserved, being so sinful.

Other bad events have occurred in other nations and their politicians abuse it as well. 9/11 is not a defining moment for me; tragic as it is.

But then again I'm no longer part of the body politic, so perhaps I don't feel the pulse as I once did.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but he's part of the "Huevos Club".
Old 09-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte

But I have to say, I'm now finding the coverage of the fifth anniversary event a little oppressive. Maybe it's because I have this nagging feeling that if it had happened in Kansas City there'd be a lot less to do about it. I can't really articulate why I feel uneasy about the current dialogue. People died in the Pentagon, didn't they? You never hear anything about that. This event to us is has become kind of like 10+ million Russian dead in WWII to the Russian people. Maybe it's the combination of the way we (especially New Yorkers) think we're the center of the world, but really we're so removed from it. Our reaction to 9/11 seems to have become a metaphor for that. Maybe it's because I read too much of the NY Times and the New Yorker. I've been treated to every detail of planning for what they're going to do with the site to honor the dead, including the artistic, political and ego squabbles. I stopped reading long ago. I love memorials. The ones in D.C. are some of my favorite places, the way they encapsulate such inmprtant, really sacred events and concepts. But right now I feel no urge to go stand in huge lines to see whatever they're going to put at ground 0. Right now it seems kind of more about the living than the dead to me.

Whew, I'm glad someone else said it. I was just talking about this with my boss.

I guess I'm a bad person also.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Well said, SU. I agree completely.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have very little emotional ties to 9/11. I was serving a mission, didn't take the time to watch the video of the bombings, didn't talk at length with my companions about what had happened, bought the newspapers, magazines, but couldn't get emotionally connected with the tragedy.

Last night on Fox News, they had a mini-discussion about certain conspiracy theories behind the bombings, I thought it interesting for Fox to do a piece like that.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote