cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm starting to like that Sister Julie Beck more and more

http://www.feministmormonhousewives....2496#more-2496

Quote:
This is the answer I was given by Sister Julie Beck in response to a question I asked her at a women’s conference last Saturday. It wasn’t quite what I was expecting to hear from the General Relief Society President when I posed this question during a Q&A session with over 600 other sisters from across South Georgia:

Sister Beck, you must be aware of some of the rumblings you caused with your talk in General Conference ‘Mothers Who Know’. What would you say to those sisters who are already feeling overwhelmed, overworked and under appreciated?

Life is hard. Deal with it.
In a world gone soft, at least there are a few people who, with a steely look, say, "Stop $@#$%ing to me, and deal with it."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Oh Mike, let's make sure we quote the whole context, eh?

Quote:
Let me set the record straight- I’m paraphrasing her answer to some extent, based on my memory and conversations with other women following the conference. There is certainly room for other interpretations of her answer. And in the interest of full disclosure, Sister Beck prefaced this statement with a few other comments. First, she said she made no apologies for what she said in that talk. Second, she couched her statement by saying that “as women of faith, we knew life would be hard. Motherhood is hard.” Again, this is my recollection of her words.
Heh. Being a Bear leader is so hard.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Oh Mike, let's make sure we quote the whole context, eh?

Heh. Being a Bear leader is so hard.
My wife was called as Bear leader two months ago. I've seen what she has to do and I don't want it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm not being sarcastic, btw.

A lot of life is rolling with the punches.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
My wife was called as Bear leader two months ago. I've seen what she has to do and I don't want it.
I'm not trying to disparage anyone here, but of all the callings in the church, Bear leader is one of the least time-consuming or preparation-heavy. Yes, you have to corral 'X' number of snot-nosed, fart-happy little boys for an hour a week. And you have a few scouting meetings to go to. Sorry, that doesn't make my "go online and whine about it" list.

But we're hijacking the thread here (my fault). I doubt this woman is giving a correct Beck quote. She just about says as much.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not trying to disparage anyone here, but of all the callings in the church, Bear leader is one of the least time-consuming or preparation-heavy. Yes, you have to corral 'X' number of snot-nosed, fart-happy little boys for an hour a week. And you have a few scouting meetings to go to. Sorry, that doesn't make my "go online and whine about it" list.

But we're hijacking the thread here (my fault). I doubt this woman is giving a correct Beck quote. She just about says as much.
Why should she? She has more whining to do.