cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Prayer

For the last few months I've been thinking about prayer on and off.
And I was thinking about this before the old dude in priesthood told us that the temple president was so concerned about the words that are used in prayers. But that gave me something to add to my thoughts.

I think God is a nice guy. He doesn't need us to worship him. He doesn't have an ego. And he's a lot different from what I thought he was. Hopefully as I get older, he'll be even more different. I hope I'm a reasonably nice guy. When my daughter talks to me, I want her to be herself and talk like she talks to her friends. I can tell if she wants to talk to me or if she's just saying what she thinks she should. In terms of respect, I think I have her respect when she trusts that she can say anything she feels. Including yelling at me. That's a good sign as she knows she can voice her teenage frustrations and not be squashed.

So, the notion of using special language to show respect started to sounds a little odd. Nobody talks that way, nobody thinks that way. So, I started to just chat. I didn't even end in name of jesus christ all the time. And things were a lot different, in a lot of good ways. I was having real conversations.
About two weeks ago, a situation developed, that resulted in me being extremely confused and as a consequence, very pissed at God. And I told him. In fact I told him to f*** off. Several times. Several times a day. I was so mad that a few times when I felt god near I told him buzz off and go mess with someone else's life. I told him to get the hell out of my life and I'll do things on my own from here on out.
And now that I'm not quite as mad, I feel a lot closer to him.

Enough crap. I guess I learned in a big way what a nice guy he is. And he likes to hang out with us and chew the fat. God seems like a really cool bartender with lots of glasses to polish in a bar that only has one customer.

Last edited by Brian; 11-09-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a nice post Brian. I have a hard time reading reading your sincere thoughts with the image of a man moving his bowels clouding everything you write. God hates your avatar, of that I'm sure.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote