cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joe Theismann

A few weeks ago I was listening to GAC sports radio in Dallas, and they had Joe on the show. He was thoughtful, considerate, well-spoken. Not arrogant or blustery. I was thinking "who is this guy?" It was weird.

I grew up hating Joe. And then I found him annoying on ESPN football. But he was great as the guest on the radio show.

Never judge a man until you have at least 25 years of data. I learned my lesson.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A few weeks ago I was listening to GAC sports radio in Dallas, and they had Joe on the show. He was thoughtful, considerate, well-spoken. Not arrogant or blustery. I was thinking "who is this guy?" It was weird.

I grew up hating Joe. And then I found him annoying on ESPN football. But he was great as the guest on the radio show.

Never judge a man until you have at least 25 years of data. I learned my lesson.
Jimmy Kimmels quote tonight was great when he said: "i want to say hello Joe Theisman who i am sure is watching from his couch with steam coming out of his ears"

Another great Kimmel quote talking about Tom Brady and the controversy of which girlfriend he actually got pregnant: "If we can have a mormon president than Tom Brady can impregnate two super models"
Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

It's always ok to mock someone who changes the pronunciation of his last name because he either won or lobbied to win the Heisman.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That is my favorite Theisman story. When Joe Horn pulled the cell phone out in the end zone, Theisman was calling the game. He was furious with Horn, and said "how can any player work so hard to bring attention to himself with a silly gimmick like that?" I am paraphrasing, but it was absolutely hilarious coming from the guy who changes the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman.

It certainly was an example of the pot calling the kettle black, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

The best part about Theisman in the booth with Kornheiser last year is that Tony would always call him out on the stupid things he said. In typical ESPN fashion, Theisman would pronounce one young QB the next Joe Montana, and then when things went south, he'd say something like, "This is why this QB will struggle throughout his career."

Kornheiser would then respond: "You just said he'd be great..."

Silence...

I like ole Joe, but he and Merril Hodge and Shawn Salsburry get into the "calling people out" a little too much in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The booth with Theisman, Kornheiser and Paul McGuire was the worst broadcasting team I can remember in the NFL. I couldn't stand to watch the games with those morons in the booth.
Yeah i agree it wasnt great. I will say this however, I think the jury is still out on Tirico, and i dont care for Kornheiser much, but Jaws was a great addition, seriously he is one of the best in the business.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Yeah i agree it wasnt great. I will say this however, I think the jury is still out on Tirico, and i dont care for Kornheiser much, but Jaws was a great addition, seriously he is one of the best in the business.
The cool thing about Jaws is he knows what he's talking about and gives thorough examples. He has a great understanding of the sport of football and knows how to pass that on to the viewer.

An Anti-Archaea if you will.