cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My thoughts on the Sugar Bowl...

I've always felt that Utah's defense was fast, but last night showed me just how fast Utah is. Alabama had no answer for it. 8 sacks and 31 total yards rushing speaks volumes. In the future, the alleged experts who were so sure that the size of Alabama's O-line would demolish the Utes might want to look at some video of Utah before making any predictions. I don't think Smith playing would have made a difference. He may be the best offensive lineman in the country according to the Outland Trophy selection folks, but the truth is that he would have just been another fat, slow guy.

Utah's O-line kicked ass. Sure, Utah only had about 20 something total yards rushing, but anyone who watched the game knows that Utah really made no effort to run the ball until the last 8 minutes or so of the 4th quarter - and that was toeat up the clock rather than to establish a running game. I guess folks in the south have a different idea what a mountain is than folks from Utah, eh? Did Cody have a tackle? Seriously, I don't remember ever hearing his name called. When I would watch him, it sure looked like he was Zane Taylor's bitch.

Johnson was phenomenal. He made the right reads on pretty much every play and put the ball into the right spots so only his receivers could make the catch. And the few times he took off running, it was again at the right time - after he had checked each receiver. I was most impressed by how calm he was - even moreso than he has been throughout the season. Not once did he panic. I can overlook the fumble because it was the result of a great play by the Alabama player who caused it.

John Parker Wilson is good, but based on last night's performance, he's not that good. Unlike Johnson, he panicked and it cost him two interceptions and several bad throws. He's lucky Mike Wright wasn't able to hang on to the ball or that would have been a pick 6. But at least he has a stylin' do, eh?

All the experts talk about how Saban is a great defensive back coach. Well, if the Alabama DBs are the result of his coaching, then he sucks. The Alabama secondary was, in a word, bad. They got beat all night and none of them made any effort to even look for the ball. It was fun to watch.

Utah now stands as the only undefeated team in the country. Unfortunately for Utah, being a non-BSC team outweighs that fact in voters eyes. I'm guessing Utah will get a few #1 votes in the AP, but voters had 6 other teams ahead of Utah in that poll and a win in the Sugar Bowl isn't going to convince them that Utah should be the AP MNC. It sucks for the Utes and Ute fans, but that's just the way it is.

We'll never know if USC, Florida, Oklahoma or Texas would beat Utah, because there won't be any games played to prove it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were an AP voter, I would vote for Utah for MNC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

As would I.

Unfortunately, I believe the MWC will forever be considered a lesser conference by the majority of sportswriters.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Utah will undoubtedly get several #1 votes in the AP. Some national columnists have already been making some very strong arguments for voting for Utah. I hate the BCS. They deserve to be embarrassed by a non-member of the club finishing #1 in the poll that told the BCS to take a hike.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3815656
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote