cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keith Van Horn possibly included in Jason Kidd trade........

The trade is not working because Devean George wont agree to it because he will lose his bird rights. Well basically for those that dont know his bird rights mean that Dallas can pay him more money than he can make as a free agent. The problem is Dallas doesnt want to resign him anyways so his bird rights are a moot point. So Mark Cuban has called KVH and he has convinced him to unretire, sign with Dallas, then Dallas will include him in the trade and send him to New Jersey. KVH would have to pass a physical and then report to the Nets, he can then retire again and ride off in to the sunset with basically the same amount of money that Devean George is making.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
The trade is not working because Devean George wont agree to it because he will lose his bird rights. Well basically for those that dont know his bird rights mean that Dallas can pay him more money than he can make as a free agent. The problem is Dallas doesnt want to resign him anyways so his bird rights are a moot point. So Mark Cuban has called KVH and he has convinced him to unretire, sign with Dallas, then Dallas will include him in the trade and send him to New Jersey. KVH would have to pass a physical and then report to the Nets, he can then retire again and ride off in to the sunset with basically the same amount of money that Devean George is making.
Silly question, but how is KVH doing in the pros. He was absolutely fabulous as a college player. Has he matured as a pro? I really don't watch the pro game, so if he's an all pro, forgive my ignorance.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

His career is over. He hasn't played in a season and a half.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Silly question, but how is KVH doing in the pros. He was absolutely fabulous as a college player. Has he matured as a pro? I really don't watch the pro game, so if he's an all pro, forgive my ignorance.
Keith Van Horn retired after the 05-06 season, he played 9 seasons in the NBA, he averaged 16 points and 7 rebounds per game. Solid numbers but not number 2 overall pick numbers. He did make a lot of money however.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
A slight distinction. The issue is not his Bird Rights, but his Early Bird Rights, which only require a player to be with the team 2 years.

The big difference is that Bird rights go along with the player in a trade, Early Bird rights do not.

While you are correct that Dallas is likely not interested in paying him more, his strategy is likely to hope that he can get more in a sign and trade. The current deal with NJ is not a sign and trade, but simply a trade across the board...so he gets no raise and loses his early bird rights by going to a new team. The 2 year clock starts anew.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I think for KVH being a lottery pick was akin to winning the lottery. He worked about as hard at pro ball as a PowerBall winner works after winning.

What a waste of talent.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Van Horn had several fabulous things that went well for him and several problems with his game.

His biggest strength was the ability to score. The first three seasons of his career he was scoring around 20 points a game. He was also a fairly good rebounder snagging around 7-8 rebounds a game through the first 5-6 seasons.

The problems were two fold. He is not a real physical player and that hurt him. He struggled guarding the real powerful PFs in the league...and he struggled to keep up with the real fast SFs in the league. It often left him overmatched defensively. Yes, he often had the offensive advantage due to his height and his offensive abilities but defense became a liability.

He also had a problem with lousy teammates (Kenyon Martin, Stephon Marbury) who were teamed up to him to be a 1-2 punch.

In regards to that years draft, even doing it again, Van Horn would have been probably the 4th pick (instead of the 2nd). Duncan, Billups and McGrady were part of that draft. Otherwise, Van Horn was the next best player.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Van Horn had several fabulous things that went well for him and several problems with his game.

His biggest strength was the ability to score. The first three seasons of his career he was scoring around 20 points a game. He was also a fairly good rebounder snagging around 7-8 rebounds a game through the first 5-6 seasons.

The problems were two fold. He is not a real physical player and that hurt him. He struggled guarding the real powerful PFs in the league...and he struggled to keep up with the real fast SFs in the league. It often left him overmatched defensively. Yes, he often had the offensive advantage due to his height and his offensive abilities but defense became a liability.

He also had a problem with lousy teammates (Kenyon Martin, Stephon Marbury) who were teamed up to him to be a 1-2 punch.

In regards to that years draft, even doing it again, Van Horn would have been probably the 4th pick (instead of the 2nd). Duncan, Billups and McGrady were part of that draft. Otherwise, Van Horn was the next best player.

IMO, Van Horn's biggest problem was that he peaked as a run/jump athlete either at the U or during his first couple seasons in the NBA. Once he lost what was pretty elite athleticism for a guy 6'10" playing SF/PF, he became one-dimensional on offense, (just a shooter) and since he could never defend much, he became fairly limited in what he could do.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Anyone here know what Van Horn is up to these days? Is he living in Utah? (I believe his wife is from the SLC area).
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think on the radio they said he lives in Dallas.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote