cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hip bishops

Has anybody ever had a hip bishop? We just moved to Mississippi and our new bishop is 30 years old, has a faux hawk, and wears sketchers to church. I don't know much else about him, but he's off to a good start in my book.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Has anybody ever had a hip bishop? We just moved to Mississippi and our new bishop is 30 years old, has a faux hawk, and wears sketchers to church. I don't know much else about him, but he's off to a good start in my book.
While a member of a University of Utah student ward, I had an outstanding bishop. He emphasized ward activities that promoted unity and a spirit of fellowship. For example, we had twice monthly ward temple outings that included dinner at Cafe Rio (or similar) that he paid for out of his own pocket. Not surprisingly, the average attendance at the temple outings was approximately 50. The music was also inspiring and inclusive - the ward included members of the Utah Symphony and Temple Square Orchestra. We had a Stake Music Chairman who organized and directed the highest quality LDS music I have ever experienced for Stake Conferences, Christmas Firesides, broadcast LDSSA devotionals, etc. She would have the first two rows of benches in the chapel removed to make room for the orchestra. I understand the SP facilitated her calling to the Church General Music Committee.

Last edited by Requiem; 07-31-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

All he needs now is a bow tie
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an african american bishop in one of my wards and he said the following phrase to me as he was extending a calling: (in a deep, deep voice) "Our ward has a hell of a lot of problems and I am looking to you to help get those problems fixed." I don't think I have ever been extended a calling in a bishop's office where he used a swear word. I was impressed.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I had an african american bishop in one of my wards and he said the following phrase to me as he was extending a calling: (in a deep, deep voice) "Our ward has a hell of a lot of problems and I am looking to you to help get those problems fixed." I don't think I have ever been extended a calling in a bishop's office where he used a swear word. I was impressed.
Oh everybody look at UteStar and how much better he is than everybody else. He's a metrosexual with an African-American bishop who swears. Not only does he have baby soft manicured hands, but his bishop thinks he can fix the ward's problems with his frosted hair and Banana Republic suit (that he probably bought on sale!!).
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Oh everybody look at UteStar and how much better he is than everybody else. He's a metrosexual with an African-American bishop who swears. Not only does he have baby soft manicured hands, but his bishop thinks he can fix the ward's problems with his frosted hair and Banana Republic suit (that he probably bought on sale!!).
Nice. LOL!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Nice. LOL!
LOL my ass IL...YOhio is just jealous because all of those things he said about me are true and he just can't handle my too-hot-to-handle-ness. Let me tell you, it was something to see in having a Hip bishop and a Hip congregationalist (me!)

And on a sidenote--I don't buy anything on sale...if it is on sale, it means that it is worthless and that article of clothing is at the end of its road. I only buy the newest and the most expensive.

Last edited by UteStar; 08-01-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LOL my ass IL...YOhio is just jealous because all of those things he said about me are true and he just can't handle my too-hot-to-handle-ness. Let me tell you, it was something to see in having a Hip bishop and a Hip congregationalist (me!)

And on a sidenote--I don't buy anything on sale...if it is on sale, it means that it is worthless and that article is at the end of its road. I only buy the newest and the most expensive.
Well, you will probably lose all respect for me when I say that I only buy something if it is on sale. Being a cheapskate is a lifestyle - but it's not a choice. I was born that way.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, you will probably lose all respect for me when I say that I only buy something if it is on sale. Being a cheapskate is a lifestyle - but it's not a choice. I was born that way.
That respect is gone Il, that respect is gone.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And on a sidenote--I don't buy anything on sale...if it is on sale, it means that it is worthless and that article of clothing is at the end of its road. I only buy the newest and the most expensive.
Is that why you have a TJ Max credit card? Oh, snap!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote