cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CaliCoug's post on CB

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3118388

Good summary of the Thompson interview. I'm curious about Holmoe's comment that BYU is only attaining 30% of their potential in the MWC. What does that mean?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

Good summary of the Thompson interview. I'm curious about Holmoe's comment that BYU is only attaining 30% of their potential in the MWC. What does that mean?
I think I may know. Not sure if you read my Holmoe meeting email from early Sep, but in that meeting Holmoe recognized that being in a mid-major does not allow us to compete at the level that we should be able to compete at....through better recruiting and more national exposure. Holmoe indicated that the MWC and the mtn was, in essence, holding BYU back, which is why they were/are exploring the strategy to force the hand of the Pac and Big 10 and require a conference championship.

Anyway, Holmoe did not quantify BYU's realized potential to 30% at the time, but perhaps what this means is that as long as BYU stays in the MWC, it will never reach its full potential.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

We (byu and Utah) should take unlv, sdsu, Utah st., boise st., hawaii, nevada and fresno st. and start our own conference...

It puts us in all the important markets in the west that we can get in. everyone gets 4 home and 4 away games. We get 4 bowl games (vegas, poinsettia, hula and humanitarian bowl). We lose colorado but its not like AF or CSU are in denver. We lose texas but both utah and byu recruited fine there without tcu
Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Anyway, Holmoe did not quantify BYU's realized potential to 30% at the time, but perhaps what this means is that as long as BYU stays in the MWC, it will never reach its full potential.
Thanks for that info. I'm sure BYU would benefit by moving to a bigger conference, but saying that we're currently performing at 30% of potential seems to overstate the case.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

No duh MWC is holding back BYU. So what are you going to do about Holmoe? "force the big10 to have a conf championship?" don't make me laugh.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No duh MWC is holding back BYU. So what are you going to do about Holmoe? "force the big10 to have a conf championship?" don't make me laugh.

Yeah, that was kinda funny. I did recently read an article about the possibility of the Big 10 expanding, but I don't see BYU even being remotely considered. I have heard rumors that some Big12 schools may want to jump to an expanded Big10, leaving a void in the Big12. Not sure if there's any truth to that or if it's the usual baseless speculation. But if there was an opening in the Big12, I could see BYU getting an invite.

But pac10 and big10? I don't see that ever happening.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The plan was actually quite clever. He admitted it was a longshot, however.

It really isnt Holmoe. It doesnt matter who our AD is. It is the BCS conference that has to extend the invite.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Yeah, that was kinda funny. I did recently read an article about the possibility of the Big 10 expanding, but I don't see BYU even being remotely considered. I have heard rumors that some Big12 schools may want to jump to an expanded Big10, leaving a void in the Big12. Not sure if there's any truth to that or if it's the usual baseless speculation. But if there was an opening in the Big12, I could see BYU getting an invite.

But pac10 and big10? I don't see that ever happening.
Holmoe has never stated we would align with the Big 10 or the Big 12. BYU is interested in the Pac 10.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'm sure BYU would benefit by moving to a bigger conference, but saying that we're currently performing at 30% of potential seems to overstate the case.
Like I said, he never quantified it before, so my read could be off. But he definitely did convey the thought that BYU has to get into a BCS conference and is seeking ways to do that, however longshot it may be. Truth be told, we really dont have many options.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Holmoe has never stated we would align with the Big 10 or the Big 12. BYU is interested in the Pac 10.
The Pac10 is the snootiest BCS conference around. IF they expand, it wouldn't be BYU. They'd take Utah for the SLC TV market and some other school. Maybe UNLV - decent size market and a built in gimme game for the other schools.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote